race for the cure

today baby toes & i ran in the Susan G Komen race for the cure in central park. the komen series raises significant funds and awareness for the fight against breast cancer, celebrates breast cancer survivorship and honors those who have lost their battle with the disease. it has proved to be an enormously effective way to reach many women and men with the message that breast cancer is not necessarily fatal if mammography and breast self-exam become routine. the komen race for the cure is an opportunity for thousands of women, men and their families, running or walking, to spread the breast cancer message within their communities. up to 75 percent of the funds raised at the Race remain here in the komen central valley affiliate to provide breast health research, diagnostics, screening, treatment, services and education for uninsured or underinsured women. the remaining 25 percent goes to fund national research to discover the causes of breast cancer and, ultimately, its cures.

every year colleen & i organize the race with our wake forest alumni. it is our 4th year doing the race and last year we were among the top 5 for top fundraising universities. for everyone who participated {has participated in the past} or has supported us in this cause, THANK YOU! colleen’s mom is a breast cancer survivor along with scares in my own family & all other numerous women we know who have been touched by this disease. i run so that one day our own baby won’t have to worry about breast cancer.  thank you for your support. and to donate to the cause you can still do so here: http://www.komennyc.org/site/TR/Race/race2012-wide?px=1892783&pg=personal&fr_id=1280

we finished in 31.7 minutes! not bad for 12 extra pounds on this body

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s